Windows Media Center tries to connect to missing Windows Home Server

23 Januar 2012

During development I often use Fiddler, a great tool to monitor http connections on your machine. Every few seconds or so there was an http request with a User-Agent of 'DavClnt' trying to connect to 'HS1', a machine that used to be a Windows Home Server but which no longer exist.

Surely it doesn't really hurt anybody to have a random http call, but I liked to get rid of it.

Fiddler was showing me the process that initiated the request, it was wmplayer.exe or "Windows Media Player"

I first searched the registry to occurrences of 'HS1', even though I had uninstalled the Home Server Connector from the machine, I found a few places with references to the home server. Deleting them however did not help.

Using a different user account, the http requests did not happen, so it must had something to do with my main user account. I deleted all the Windows Media Player settings under AppData but that also did not help.

Then I used Process Monitor, set the filter to Process Name = wmplayer.exe and indeed the process tried to access certain shares on HS1 but I could not find any clues to where the settings for these operations were.

I then searched for files in my user directory that have the string HS1 and found:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos.library-ms

One of my libraries still had a location on a share on the home server. I removed that location and finally the http requests stopped.

Pages in this section

Categories

ASP.Net | Community | Development | IIS | IT Pro | Security | SQL (Server) | Tools | Web | Work on the road | Windows